Thursday 28 June 2018

London Fashion Week Men's 2018:



Hello Everyone,

At the beginning of June, I was fortunate enough to attend LFWM as an accredited press member for the weekend. I attended Saturday and Sunday going to shows/presentations such as E.Tautz, Daniel Fletcher and Christopher Raeburn. For each day I was joined by my wonderful assistants, Day 1 was my mum and Day 2 was Laura who would love to enter the fashion industry.

I honestly didn't know what to expect from a fashion event on such a large scale, however, upon arrival, I seemed to be the only visitor outside with the exception of the paparazzi. The venue located on the Strand was easy to find and not a million miles away from Victoria. My only negative of the day was the fact that the majority of the shows are in various other venues dotted around London, so its a long day full of walking and crowds of people once you get inside the shows. 

On Saturday, the first show I saw was Daniel Fletcher, likewise to the rest of my experience I didn't have a clue what to expect. I must say for any fashion lover, being at a London fashion week show sitting inches away from some of the industry's well-known professionals was a dream come true (I was sat opposite Marcus Butler at one point). After speaking to Daniel after the show, he told me about his reasoning behind the collection, he wanted to raise awareness for the mental health of men seeing as suicide is the biggest killer of men under 40. The use of corsets within the show was intended to show the restraint that men face when feeling as if they have to conceal their emotions. 

The second event of the day was the E.Tautz presentation which was most certainly an eye-opener the main message behind the collection was surrounding the topic of workers rights in the 20th century especially more of the manual labour roles. I personally think that this is a pivotal moment in high-end fashion to understand the way industries used to be and the treatment workers faced in comparison to the dramatic social advances today. The whole collection was made in the UK with just the model's shoes being supplied by Louboutin which is based in Italy.  
The image on the right shows the message "GIVE ME A FUTURE"
- Embroidery by Royal School Of Needlework 






On the second day, the first presentation was Phoebe English which was under the label 'A manifesto for the modern man'. Similarly to most of the brands showcasing at the event, there were some political undertones with English hinting at the recent austerity by the use of simple tailoring cuts but also the reflection of traditional fashion heritage within the UK. 



Finally, my favourite event of the weekend was the Christopher Raeburn show held onsite at the strand. When Laura and I arrived we were directed towards our seats which were the second row just as the catwalk turned (some of the best seats!) Surprisingly, despite being the spring/summer collection the collaboration with Timberland, there was a huge amount of puffer-jackets which is a continuation from last seasons trends. 




I am so excited to head back to Fashion Week in September for the womenswear of AW19, if you would like me to do an update then of all the shows I went to then please let me know. Also in the next few weeks, I'll be writing up the street styles as well as some of the celebrities at the event. A little shoutout to Jack Edwards who I've spoken about before but he was so lovely, be sure to check out his blog. We spoke about all things uni and fashion. 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment